MILLTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

MILLTOWN, a village, partly in the parish of TANEY, but chiefly in that part of the united parishes of ST. PETER and ST. KEVIN, which is in the barony of UPPERCROSS, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ½ miles (S.) from Dublin, on the road to Dundrum and Enniskerry; containing 673 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Dodder, and numerous dilapidated buildings testify that it was formerly an important place. A starch and glue mill is in operation, and the woollen mills, which were established 35 years since, for the manufacture of low-priced cloths, employ about 60 persons, under Mr. Morris Harnett. The Dodder, after heavy rains, being swelled by mountain torrents, overflows its banks and sometimes does considerable damage.

The neighbourhood is adorned with many respectable residences, from several of which splendid views of the bay and city of Dublin are obtained, as well as of the Wicklow mountains: among them are Milltown Park, the residence of G. Russell, Esq.; Fairyland, of W. C. Hogan, Esq.; Nullamore, of W. H. Flemyng, Esq.; Rich View, of the Rev. S. W. Fox; Richmond House, of J. Somers, Esq.; South Hill, of J. Elliott, Esq.; Richmond Park, of W. McCann, Esq.; Brook-field, of J. Smith, Esq.; and the residence of the Misses Hunt, partly the repaired edifice of Milltown Castle. Here is a R. C. chapel, also a dissenting place of worship for Independents; and in that part of the village which is in Taney parish there is a school. Milltown gives the title of Earl to the family of Leeson.

« Millstreet | Index | Milltown (Kerry) »


Library Ireland Facebook