MILLSTREET

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

MILLSTREET, a market and post-town, in the parish of DRISHANE, barony of WEST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 29 ¼ miles (N. W.) from Cork, and 155 (S. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Cork to Killarney, and on that from Mallow to Kenmare; containing 1935 inhabitants. Before 1736, the place consisted only of an inn, a mill, and five small cabins: it has now one long street, with several smaller ones diverging from it, and contains 312 houses, the greater number of which, though small, are neatly built. It is situated on the south side of the Blackwater, amidst the lofty mountains of Muskerry, and derives its principal support from being a great thoroughfare. A small market is held every Thursday, during the winter season, chiefly for pigs; and fairs are held on the 1st and 12th of March, June, Sept., and Dec., for the sale of cattle, horses and pigs. An ale and porter brewery was established here in 1835, which produces 1000 tierces annually; and there are extensive flour-mills, which have proved very advantageous to the farmer in encouraging the growth of wheat.

Here is a small court-house, in which petty sessions are held on alternate Mondays; connected with it is a small bridewell. It is a constabulary police station; and there are large barracks for 6 officers and 100 men, where a detachment of infantry has been kept ever since the riots of 1822. The parish church of Drishane stands on an eminence above the town; it is a handsome edifice, built in 1798 at the expense of J. Wallis, Esq., of Drishane Castle, the owner of the eastern part of the town; the western part, called Coomlagan, belongs to McCarty O'Leary, Esq. Here is also a R. C. chapel, which, being small and inconvenient, is about to be rebuilt upon a larger scale. The male and female parochial school is supported by H. Wallis, Esq., and the vicar; and a school is about to be established in connection with the new R. C. chapel. The scenery around the town is exceedingly interesting, and in its vicinity are several elegant residences, noticed in the article on DRISHANE.

« Millford | Index | Milltown (Dublin) »


Library Ireland Facebook