MILLENAGH

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

MILLENAGH, or MELINA, a parish, in the barony of BALLAGHKEEN, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 7 miles (E.) from Enniscorthy, and on the coast road from Wexford to Dublin; containing, with the town of Oulart (which is separately described), 1201 inhabitants. During the disturbances of 1798 this place was the scene of a severe action between a party of the North Cork militia and the insurgents, who had encamped on Oulart Hill.

The parish comprises 3983 ½ statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and chiefly in tillage. The principal seat is Island, the residence of William Bolton, Esq. It is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Ferns, annexed, under an act of the 4th of George IV., to that of Kilmuckridge: the rectory is impropriate in Captain Villars Hatton, R. N., who allows £6 per ann. and a glebe of 28 acres for the performance of the clerical duties.

The tithes amount to £212. 9. 11.

In the R. C. divisions the greater part of the parish is within the union or district of Oulart, where the chapel is situated, and the remainder is in the district of Blackwater. About 100 children are educated in three private schools.

« Millbrook | Index | Millford »


Library Ireland Facebook