MICHAEL'S (ST.)

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

MICHAEL'S (ST.), a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER; 6 miles (S. S. E.) from Wexford, on the road to Rosslare; containing 93 inhabitants. This small parish, which is situated on the southern extremity of Wexford Harbour, comprises only 564 ½ statute acres, chiefly under an improved system of cultivation. Some of the inhabitants are engaged in the herring fishery during the season, this part of the harbour being frequented by boats from various places engaged in that pursuit. The only seat is Bushville, the residence of Charles Jacob, Esq., the principal proprietor of the parish. It is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union of Killinick: the rectory is impropriate in Caesar Colclough, Esq. Of the tithes, amounting to £27. 16. 6., two-thirds are payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the curate. There are no remains of the church, but the old burial-ground is still used.

« St. Michael's (Cork) | Index | St. Michael's of Feagh »


Library Ireland Facebook