MICHAEL'S (ST.)

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

MICHAEL'S (ST.), or TEMPLEMICHAEL,a parish, partly in the county of the city of CORK, but chiefly in the barony of BARRYMORE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (N.) from Cork, on the old road to Ballyhooly; containing 529 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2109 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act and valued at £755 per ann.; of these, 1305 acres are in the barony of Barrymore, and the remainder in the county of the city. The land is principally in tillage, and, though stony, produces good crops; there is neither bog nor waste land. The substratum is entirely clay-slate, and there are some quarries of hard compact stone used for building and for repairing the roads.

The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, constituting the corps of the prebend of St. Michael in the cathedral of St. Finbarr, Cork, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £129. 10.7. Divine service is performed at present in the school-house at Carrignavar, where a church is about to be built.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Glanmire, or Dunbollogue; the chapel, to which a school is attached, is a small plain edifice. The parochial school at Carrignavar is supported by J. McCarthy, Esq.

« Mew Island | Index | St. Michael's (Wexford) »


Library Ireland Facebook