MASON ISLAND

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

MASON ISLAND, in the parish of MOYRUS, barony of BALLYNAHINCH, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 15 miles (S. E.) from Clifden: the population is returned with the parish. This island is situated upon the western coast, near the entrance to Ard bay, and contains 61 acres. Some distance from it are the Skird rocks, which lie halfway between the west end of Arranmore island and Slyne-head, 13 miles N. N. W. from the Arran lighthouse, and about two leagues from the mainland. They are the most remarkable on this part of the coast, and serve as a land-mark to point out the adjoining harbours; they are about one mile in length, N. E. and S. W., the most western being the highest and most remarkable. The principal rock is always above high water, and a shoal about two cables' length wide extends half a mile to the east of it.

« St. Mary's De Fore | Index | Massereene »


Library Ireland Facebook