MARTRY

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

MARTRY, a parish, in the barony of LOWER NAVAN, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 5 ¼ miles (N. W.) from Navan, on the road to Kells, and on the river Blackwater; containing 1128 inhabitants. It comprises 3705 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, the land being of medium quality and nearly equally divided between tillage and pasture; and it includes a portion of a large bog, which extends into three of the adjoining parishes: there are several quarries of stone. Allanstown, the seat of W. H. Waller, Esq., is a handsome mansion, situated in a well-planted demesne of about 700 plantation acres, including a deer-park. In the demesne is Faughan hill, the summit of which being planted, forms a conspicuous object as seen from the south-east through a vista in the wood. The parish is in the diocese of Meath: the rectory formerly belonged to the priory of the Knights of St. John at Kilmainham, and in 1615 was granted in fee to Patrick Barnwall; it is now impropriate in Dominick Reilly, Esq.; the vicarage forms part of the union of Ardbraccan.

The tithes amount to £178. 6. 8., of which £120 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ardbraccan, or Bohermean. A small school for females is supported by Mrs. Waller.

« St. Martin's | Index | Maryborough »


Library Ireland Facebook