MAPASTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

MAPASTOWN, or MAPLESTOWN, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ½ miles (N. N. E.) from Ardee, on the road to Dundalk; containing 458 inhabitants. This parish, which is the estate of Charles Cobbe, Esq., of Newbridge, county of Dublin, is situated on the river Glyde, which is crossed by a bridge, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1446 ¼ statute acres of good arable and pasture land: the system of agriculture is rapidly improving. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Charlestown or Philipstown; the rectory is impropriate in the Hon. Baron Foster.

The tithes amount to £107. 19. 2., of which £9. 13. is paid to the vicar, and the remainder to the impropriator. The church is in ruins.

In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Ardee.

« Manor-Hamilton Union | Index | Maperath »


Library Ireland Facebook