MANFIELDSTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

MANFIELDSTOWN, or MOUNTFIELDSTOWN, a parish, in the barony and county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ½ miles (W.) from Castle Bellingham, on the river Glyde; containing 1061 inhabitants, of which number, 182 are in the village. According to the Ordnance survey, it comprises 2417 ¾ statute acres, in general of excellent quality, and nearly all under tillage: there are about 50 acres of bog; the system of agriculture has much improved. The village, which is neat, consists of 28 houses.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Lord-Primate: the tithes amount to £271. 9. 8 ½.; and the gross revenue of the benefice, tithes and glebe inclusive, is £283. 9. 85. The glebe comprises two acres, on which some cabins have been built, forming part of the village. The church is a very ancient structure in good repair. There is a R. C. chapel, and a parochial school, in which about 40 boys and 10 girls are taught; the master receives £10 per annum from the incumbent.

« Malusk | Index | Manister »


Library Ireland Facebook