MAGHERACROSS

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

MAGHERACROSS, a parish, partly in the barony of OMAGH, county of TYRONE, and partly in the barony of LURG, but chiefly in that of TYRKENNEDY, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 5 ½ miles (N. by E.) from Enniskillen, on the road to Omagh; containing 5313 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 10,452 ¼ statute acres, of which 343 ¾ are in the barony of Omagh, 170 ¼ in Lurg, 71 water, and 7505 are applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £6015. 2. 9. per annum. About 50 acres are woodland, 1500 waste and bog, and the remainder good arable and pasture land; the soil is fertile, the system of agriculture improved, and there is a good supply of peat for fuel.

The principal seats are Jamestown, the residence of G. Lendrum, Esq.; Crocknacrieve, of H. M. Richardson, Esq.; and Bara, of the Rev. J. Irwin. A large fair, chiefly for horses, is held on Feb. 12th at Ballina-mallard.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £328. 4. 2. There is no glebe-house; the glebe comprises 300 acres, valued at £176 per annum. The church is a plain neat edifice in good repair, and was erected about 50 years since.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Whitehall, or Derryvullen; the chapel is a small thatched building. There are places of worship for Wesleyan and Primitive Wesleyan Methodists in connection with the Established Church. About 400 children are taught in the parochial and six other public schools, of which a female school is supported by G. Lendrum, Esq.; and there are five private schools, in which are about 200 children; two Sunday schools, and a dispensary.

« Magheracloony | Index | Magheraculmony »


Library Ireland Facebook