MAGHERA-HAMLET

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

MAGHERA-HAMLET, an ecclesiastical, district, in the barony of KINELEARTY, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (S.) from Ballynahinch, on the road from Dundrum to Dromore; containing 3223 inhabitants. This district, formerly called Templemoile, and sometimes Kilwilk, is situated within a mile of the Ballynahinch baths, and comprises 1844 statute acres, of which 753 are mountainous, and of the remainder, which is tolerably good land, a small portion is rocky pasture: the system of agriculture is improving. There are quarries of good slate, and of building stone, which is raised chiefly for building and for the. roads. Part of the Slieve Croob mountain is within its limits, and in it is the source of the river Lagan, which, after flowing by Dromore and Lisburn, discharges itself into Belfast lough.

The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Dromore, and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Dromaragh; the stipend arises from the tithes of 1200 acres applotted under the act, amounting to £75, and an augmentation of £23. 2. from Primate Boulter's fund. The glebe-house, towards which the late Board of First Fruits gave £450 and granted a loan of £50, was built in 1830; the glebe comprises 7 acres, bought by the same Board from Colonel Forde, for £450, and subject to a rent of £7. 7. The church, a neat edifice with a square tower, situated at the extremity of the district, with a view to accommodate the visitors of Ballynahinch spa, was erected at a cost of £500, wholly defrayed by the late Board of First Fruits, in 1814. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recommended, on the next avoidance of the prebend of Dromaragh, that the townlands now forming the perpetual curacy be separated from the prebend and formed into a distinct benefice.

In the R. C. divisions this is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Magheradroll and Anahilt, and called also the union of Dunmore, in which are two chapels, one at Dunmore in this district, and one at Ballynahinch, in that of Magheradroll. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Seceding Synod, of the third class. About 150 children are taught in a school supported by Colonel Forde, who also built the school-house; and there are three private schools, in which are about 200 children, and three Sunday schools. At Dunmore is an extensive deer-park, the property of Colonel Forde, encompassed by a wall.

« Magheragall | Index | Magheralin »


Library Ireland Facebook