LISCLEARY

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

LISCLEARY, or LISLEY COLERIGGE, a parish, in the barony of KERRICURRIHY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 ½ miles (W.) from Carrigaline, on the south side of the river Awinboy; containing 2804 inhabitants. It comprises 4217 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4025 per ann., and is divided into two parts by the intervening parish of Carrigaline. The surface is undulating, and the soil in general good; besides lime, sea-weed and sand brought from Carrigaline are used for manure, and the system of agriculture is gradually improving. Limestone exists near the border of the adjoining parish of Killanully, but lies too deep for profitable working, especially as an abundant supply is obtained from that parish.

The seats are Ballea Castle, the residence of F. Hodder, Esq,; and Rathfeen House, of T. Dorman, Esq.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cork; the rectory constitutes the corps of the prebend of Liscleary in the cathedral of Cork, and the vicarage is held in sequestration by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Of the tithes, amounting to £210, five-ninths are payable to the prebendary and the remainder to the Commissioners. Divine service is regularly performed in the parochial school-house.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ballygarvan and Douglas. The parochial school is partly supported by the prebendary, and partly by the Cork diocesan association; and about 70 children are educated in a private school.

« Liscartin | Index | Liscoleman »


Library Ireland Facebook