LISCARTIN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

LISCARTIN, a parish, in the barony of LOWER NAVAN, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ½ miles (N. W.) from Navan, on the river Blackwater, and on the mail road from Dublin to Enniskillen; containing 229 inhabitants. It comprises 1188 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of good quality and chiefly in tillage. Liscartin castle, supposed to have been originally a monastic building, was the birth place of the first Lord Cadogan, to which family it still belongs; part of it now constitutes the residence of T. Gerrard, Esq., the proprietor of a large flour-mill in the vicinity; the outworks of the castle were considerable, and a gateway still remains, about 60 yards distant from the main building. Bachelor's Lodge, the neat residence of John Wade, Esq., is also in this parish. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Ardbraccan; the tithes amount to £69. 4. 7 ½.

In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Ardbraccan, also called Bohermeen.

« Liscarrol | Index | Liscleary »


Library Ireland Facebook