LIMERICK TOWNS

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

The county is chiefly in the diocese of Limerick, with some small portions in those of Emly and Killaloe. For purposes of civil jurisdiction it is divided into the baronies of Clanwilliam, Lower Connello, Upper Connello, Coonagh, Coshma, Costlea, Kenry, Owneybeg, Pubblebrien, and Small County; Lower Connello is subdivided into the barony of Lower Connello East, and the division of Shanid; and Upper Connello, into that of Upper Connello East, and the division of Glenquin: these arrangements have been found necessary from the great extent of the baronies, which comprised fully one half of the county; the new divisions were named after the castles whose ruins are conspicuous near their respective centres.

It contains the ancient corporate towns of Askeaton and Kilmallock; the market-town of Kilfinane; the market and post-towns of Rathkeale, Newcastle, Bruff, Ballingarry, Pallaskenry, and Glin; the post-towns of Castle-Connell, Shanagolden, Croom, Cahirconlish, Pallasgreine, Adare, and Broadford; and the penny-posts of Abbeyfeale, Barrington's Bridge, Patrickswell, and Drumcollogher. Previously to the Union, it sent six members to the Irish Parliament, two for the county at large, and two for each of the boroughs of Askeaton and Kilmallock; but, since that period, the two returned to the Imperial Parliament for the county at large have been its only representatives.

The number of electors registered at the close of the year 1835 was 2891, of whom 27 were £100, 457 £50, 506 £20, and 1727 £10 freeholders; 9 £50, 17 £20, and 133 £10 leaseholders; and 15 rent-chargers: the place of election is the city of Limerick. The county is in the Munster circuit: the assizes are held in the county town, where the court-house, county gaol, and house of correction are situated. Quarter sessions are held at Limerick, Newcastle, Rathkeale and Bruff; and there are bridewells at each of these places and also at Glin, Kilfinnane, and Croom. The local government is vested in a lieutenant, 17 deputy-lieutenants, and 98 other magistrates, with the usual county officers and 3 coroners. There are 38 constabulary police stations, having in the whole a force of 1 sub-inspector, 5 chief and 44 sub-constables and 132 men, with 6 horses; besides which there is a force of the "Peace preservative police," consisting of 1 chief constable and 74 men, who have 10 stations, at which there are 41 of the men, the remainder being distributed among the ordinary constabulary force.

The lunatic district asylum for this county and those of Clare and Kerry is in the city of Limerick: there are four fever hospitals, besides that of Limerick, and 24 dispensaries, supported by county presentments and private subscriptions in equal portions. The amount of Grand Jury presentments in the year 1835 was £32,088. 5. 3., of which £1838. 4. 8. was for the public roads of the county at large; £9089. 4. 11. for those of the baronies; £16,651. 2. 7., for public establishments, officers' salaries, buildings, &c.; and £4509. 13. 1. for the police. In military arrangements the county is included in the south-western district.

« Limerick | Index | Limerick Topography »

County Limerick | Limerick Towns and Baronies | Limerick Topography | Limerick Agriculture | Limerick Geology | Limerick Manufactures | Limerick Antiquities | Limerick City


Library Ireland Facebook