LICKMOLASSY

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

LICKMOLASSY, a parish, in the barony of LONGFORD, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the road from Gort to Roscrea; containing, with the post-town of Portumna (which is separately described), 5396 inhabitants; and comprising 6882 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Clonfert, united about 1735 to the rectory of Ballynakill and the vicarage of Leitrim, together constituting the union of Lickmolassy, in the patronage of the Marquess of Clanricarde: the rectory is appropriate to the see.

The tithes amount to £276. 18. 5 ½., of which £46. 3. 1. is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and £230. 15. 4 ½. to the incumbent; and the entire tithes of the benefice amount to £520. 10. 9 ¾. The glebe-house was built about 1812, when the late Board of First Fruits gave £400, and lent a similar sum, towards its erection: the glebe of the union comprises 28 acres. There are two churches, one in the town of Portumna, and the other at Woodford, in the parish of Ballynakill.

In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Portumna, which also comprises the parish of Kilnabronogue, and contains the chapels of Portumna and Lickmolassy, and the friary chapel of Boula, in the parish of Kilnabronogue. About 30 children are educated in the parochial school at Portumna, which is partly supported by the incumbent; and there are three private schools, in which are about 210 children, and a Sunday school.

« Lickfinn | Index | Lickoran »


Library Ireland Facebook