LETTERLUNA

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

LETTERLUNA, or LETTER, a parish, in the barony of BALLYBRIT, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 1 ½ mile (N.) from Kinnitty, on the road from Dublin to Parsonstown; containing, with the village of Cadamstown, 1000 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe; the rectory is partly impropriate in H. Malone, Esq., and partly united to the vicarage, which forms part of the union of Kinnitty; the tithes amount to £73. 16. 11., of which £18, 9. 2 ¾. is payable to the impropriator and the remainder to the incumbent. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kinnitty or Longford. About 120 children are taught in the parochial school, and there is a private school, in which are about 40 children.

« Letterkenny | Index | Lettermacward »


Library Ireland Facebook