LEITRIM

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

LEITRIM, a village, in the parish of KILTOGHART, barony and county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Carrick-on-Shannon, on the eastern bank of the river Shannon; containing 50 houses and 274 inhabitants. It is recorded that St. Mac Liegus, son of Cernac, was bishop of Lietdrumai, or Liathdromen, which was the ancient name of this place. A castle existed here in ancient times, from which, or, as some state, from the castle of Dromahaire, Dervorghal, wife of O'Rourk, Prince of Breffny, was taken by Dermod, King of Leinster, which was one of the causes of the English invasion. There are some remains of ancient buildings, which probably formed part of the castle. Fairs are held here on Jan. 22nd, Feb. 21st, March 25th, May 5th, June 16th, July 23rd, Sept. 1st, Oct. 13th, and Dec. 1st. Leitrim was formerly a place of some importance and gave name to the county.

« Leitrim (Galway) | Index | Leixlip »


Library Ireland Facebook