From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
KNOCKANURE, a parish, in the barony of IRAGHTICONNOR, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Listowel, on the river Feale; containing 1246 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the confines of the county of Limerick, comprises 5995 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; about one-half consists of good arable land, and the remainder of coarse mountain pasture and bog. The only seat is Riversdale, the recently purchased property of D. Mahony, Esq., on which he intends to make considerable improvements. It is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe; the rectory, which in 1607 was granted by James I. to Sir James Fullerton, is now impropriate in Anthony Stoughton, Esq.; the vicarage forms part of the union of Aghavillin, also called the union of Listowel. Of the tithes, amounting to £78. 9. 3., two-thirds are payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar.
In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Newtownsandes; the chapel at Knockanure is a small thatched building, to which a school is attached: in this and in a private school about 80 children are educated. The ruins of the old church still exist in the burial-ground.
From a sad, comfortless childhood Giles Truelove developed into a reclusive and uncommunicative man whose sole passion was books. For so long they were the only meaning to his existence. But when fate eventually intervened to have the outside world intrude upon his life, he began to discover emotions that he never knew he had.
A story for the genuine booklover, penned by an Irish bookseller under the pseudonym of Ralph St. John Featherstonehaugh.
FREE download 23rd - 27th May
Join our mailing list to receive updates on new content on Library, our latest ebooks, and more.
You won't be inundated with emails! — we'll just keep you posted periodically — about once a monthish — on what's happening with the library.