From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
KILLARNEY, a market and post-town, and a parish, in the barony of MAGONIHY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 16 miles (S. E.) from Tralee and 167 (S. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Tralee to Kenmare, and on the present mail-coach road to Cork; containing 11,333 inhabitants, of which number, 7910 are in the town. This town, of which a portion, containing 1191 inhabitants, extends into the parish of Aghadoe, derived its origin from the iron smelting-works in the neighbourhood (for which its ample forests afforded abundant fuel), and from the copper mines of Ross and Muckross; and is chiefly indebted for its present prosperity to its vicinity to the celebrated lakes to which it gives name. It consists of two principal streets, from which branch several smaller; the former have been well paved and flagged, at the expense of the Earl of Kenmare, its proprietor, whose seat and extensive demesne immediately adjoin the town.
The total number of houses is 1028, for the most part neatly built. At the south end of the town is Kenmare place, a handsome range of dwellings: and in the principal street are two commodious and spacious inns, for the reception of the numerous visitors to the lakes, for whose accommodation also there are several lodging-houses. There are two subscription reading-rooms, to one of which is attached a billiard-room. Races, which were formerly held here, are about to be revived; a regatta on the lake has been recently established; and a stag-hunt occasionally takes place in the mountains of Glena, which abound with the native red deer. On the east bank of the Dinagh is the Mall, a favourite promenade of considerable extent: near it is a mineral spring, and at Tullig, two miles north-east of the town, is another.
The approach to the town from the Kenmare road is through an avenue of stately lime trees, forming a delightful promenade, from which branches off the road to Ross, commanding a magnificent view of mountain scenery. The projected rail-road from Dublin to Valencia, if carried into effect, will pass to the northeast of the town. Tanning, for which the oak woods in the immediate vicinity are favourable, is still carried on, but not to its former extent. Bandle linen, made in the neighbourhood, is brought into the market for sale; and on the river Flesk is a bleach-green with a fulling-mill.
A variety of useful and ornamental articles are made from the arbutus tree, and sold to strangers visiting the lakes; and there are two breweries, two small snuff and tobacco manufactories, and some extensive flour-mills, of which those belonging to Messrs. Galway and Leahy, are worked by the river Dinagh, which flows through the West Demesne into the Lower Lake.
A branch of the Agricultural, and an agency office for the National, banks have been established in the town. The market, which is held on Saturday, is supplied with an abundance of cheap and excellent provisions of every description; and fairs are held on July 4th, Aug. 8th, Oct. 7th, Nov. 11th and 28th, and Dec. 28th, on Fair Hill, at the eastern extremity of the town. A chief constabulary police force is stationed here; and there is also a station at Derricunnihy, near the Upper Lake, the barrack for which, recently erected, is a neat square building, with an octagonal turret at each of the two opposite angles, forming an ornamental feature among the beautiful scenery around it.
The quarter sessions of the peace for the county are held at Killarney, by adjournment from Tralee, four times in the year; petty sessions are also held every Tuesday; and a court is held monthly by the seneschal of the manor of Ross, at which small debts are recoverable. The court-house is a handsome building of hewn stone; and connected with it is the bridewell, containing two day-rooms, two airing-yards, and six cells, with every requisite appendage. The old court-house has been lately converted into a theatre, which is occasionally opened by the Cork company. The market-house is an old building, the upper part occasionally used as a ball-room, and the lower part, formerly the meat-market, now chiefly appropriated to the sale of bandle linen. Shambles for butchers' meat and fish have been erected at the back of High-street.
From a sad, comfortless childhood Giles Truelove developed into a reclusive and uncommunicative man whose sole passion was books. For so long they were the only meaning to his existence. But when fate eventually intervened to have the outside world intrude upon his life, he began to discover emotions that he never knew he had.
This is a story for the genuine booklover, penned by an Irish bookseller under the pseudonym of Ralph St. John Featherstonehaugh.
Join our mailing list to receive updates on new content on Library, our latest ebooks, and more.
You won't be inundated with emails! — we'll just keep you posted periodically — about once a monthish — on what's happening with the library.