From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
KILGLASS, a parish, in the barony of BALLINTOBBER, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 ½ miles (E. by N.) from Strokestown, on the road from that place to Rooskey; containing 9118 inhabitants. It comprises 7168 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and about 1400 acres of bog: the land is principally under tillage, and there are some quarries of stone. The principal seats are Gilstown, the residence of J. Hogg, Esq.; Lava, of W. Hanly, Esq.; Cottage, of M. Hanly, Esq.; and Doneen, of G. Hogg, sen., Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the rectory is impropriate in the representatives of Lord Kingsland; the tithes amount to £759. 9. 2., which is equally divided between the impropriators and the vicar. The church, which is a neat structure, was erected in 1826, by aid of a loan of £740 from the late Board of First Fruits, and was recently repaired by aid of a grant of £101 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The glebe-house was built by aid of a loan of £400 and a gift of the same amount from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1813: the glebe comprises five acres. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has chapels at Kilglass and Mullogh-McCormick. About 40 children are educated in two public, and about 700 in twelve private, schools.