From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
KILFLYN, a parish, in the barony of CLANMAURICE, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Tralee, on the upper road to Listowel; containing 1072 inhabitants, of which number, 222 are in the village. It comprises 6481 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which upwards of one half consists of coarse mountain pasture; the remainder, with the exception of about 270 acres of bog, is good arable land. A vein of limestone extends into this parish from Kilfeighney, but at too great a depth to be properly worked: coal is also supposed to exist. A patent for fairs on May 11th and 12th, July 8th and 9th, Oct. 7th and 8th, and Nov. 5th and 6th, granted by Charles II., has been lately revived by T. Ponsonby, Esq., whose seat, Crotto House, is situated in an extensive and finely wooded demesne, which extends into the parish of Kiltoomy. Crotto Cottage is the residence of the Rev. J. Alton. From the bridge over the small river Shannow, Glenballema, which here presents the form of an amphitheatre, has a highly picturesque effect.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, united about 1750 to those of Kiltoomy, Killaghin, Kilshinane, Ballinacourty, Minard, and Stradbally, together constituting the union of Kilflyn, in the patronage of the Earl of Cork. The tithes amount to £84.18. 5 ½., payable in equal portions to the impropriator and the vicar; and the tithes of the entire union to £549. 16. 9. The church, a plain structure, was erected in 1812, for which purpose £800 was given by the late Board of First Fruits; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £217 for its repair and the erection of a tower. The glebe-house was built in 1818, for which a gift of £450 and a loan of £250 were made by the late Board. There are also a church and glebe-house, with a glebe of 14 acres, at Ballinacourty, which now generally gives name to the union. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Abbeydorney: the chapel is a plain building. About 200 children are educated in a private school. There are some vestiges of the old church; and at Kill is a holy well, still frequented by the peasantry for devotional purposes.
Charlotte Milligan Fox, sister of the poet Alice Milligan, was a founding member of the Irish Folk Song Society and an indefatigable field collector of Irish traditional music. Her singularly important work on Irish haprers is here presented for the twenty-first century reader. This edition of Annals offers a much greater number of illustrations than were included in the original 1911 publication, a full biographical introduction, an extensive bibliography of the writings of Milligan Fox and an appendix discussing the variant texts of Arthur O’Neills Memoirs.
Join our mailing list to receive updates on new content on Library, our latest ebooks, and more.
You won't be inundated with emails! — we'll just keep you posted periodically — about once a monthish — on what's happening with the library.