KILBRITAIN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILBRITAIN, a village, in the parish of RATHCLARIN, East Division of the barony of EAST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S.) from Bandon; containing 42 houses and 284 inhabitants. It is situated in a deep and interesting glen, at the head of a long narrow creek running up from Courtmacsherry bay, on the southern coast, and is a constabulary police station. A fair is held on Nov. 22d, for cattle, sheep, and pigs. Here is a R. C. chapel, belonging to the union or district of Rathclarin. The environs are very interesting; the sides of the hills are richly wooded, and there are some remains of the ancient castle.

« Kilbritain | Index | Kilbroderan »


Library Ireland Facebook