KILBRINE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILBRINE, a parish, in the barony of BOYLE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 1 ¾ mile (S. S. E.) from Boyle; containing 1349 inhabitants. Lough Key is chiefly in this parish: it is about three British miles in its greatest length, has many bays and inlets, and abounds with islands, but its scenery is rather beautiful than romantic, although the Curlew mountains rise near its western shore. On Trinity island was an abbey, founded in the 7th century, and refounded in 1215 for Premonstratensian. canons: in 1466 it was accidentally burnt, but was rebuilt, and continued till the general dissolution; some of its ruins still exist. A chronological register was kept in this monastery, which is known as the Annals of Lough Key. On Inchmacnerin was a monastery, supposed to be the Eas-mac-neire founded by St. Columb, which existed till the Reformation. Castle Island is almost covered by a building called Mac Dermot's Castle, which has been partially rebuilt by Viscount Lorton, and contains some handsome apartments and fine old portraits.

Several legends are connected with the original fortress. Church Island contains some ruins, and Stag Island is finely wooded. On the south side of the lake is the demesne of Rockingham, the beautiful seat of Viscount Lorton, who has greatly improved this parish, as well as his other estates. Here is also Oatlands, the seat of T. Pearson, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Elphin: the rectory is impropriate in Lord Crofton; the vicarage forms part of the union of Killuken and corps of the archdeaconry of Elphin. The tithes amount to £29, which is equally divided between the impropriator and the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Boyle. About 110 children are educated in three private schools, to one of which Lord Lorton contributes £14 per ann. and gives a house, and garden rent-free.

« Kilbrin | Index | Kilbritain »


Library Ireland Facebook