KILBRIN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILBRIN, a parish, in the barony of DUHALLOW, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 ½ miles (S. by W.) from Liscarrol, on the river Allua, and on the new road from Liscarrol to Mallow; containing 4292 inhabitants. It comprises 12,302 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £9276. per annum. The land considerably varies in quality, and a large portion consists of hilly pasture. Limestone is found in the south part of the parish, and burnt for manure; the state of agriculture is gradually improving. A fair is held at Ballyheene on Oct. 2nd, for general farming stock. Two roads have been made through this parish within a few years, and have tended greatly to the improvement of the district; one from Drumcolloher, through Liscarrol, to the mail road near Mallow, and the other from Newcastle to Castle Cor in this parish, where it meets the former road. The seats are Castle Cor, the ancient family mansion of J. Deane Freeman, Esq., situated in a richly wooded demesne, which is particularly remarkable for its fine oaks; Ballyheene, the deserted mansion of the Thornhill family; Ballygraddy, the neat cottage residence of J. Purcell, Esq.; and Marybrook, of E. Reardon, Esq.

The parish is in the diocese of Cloyne: the rectory is impropriate in Colonel Longfield, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Liscarrol. The tithes amount to £943, of which £523 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. The church, situated at Ballygraddy, on the border of the parish, is a plain building with a square tower surmounted by a small spire; it was erected in 1788, when a grant of £564 was made by the late Board of First Fruits. There are no remains of the ancient church, but its extensive burial-ground is still used. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, which also comprises the parishes of Ballyclough, Drumdowney, and Kilmaclenan: the principal chapel, at the cross of Kilbrin, is a large and handsome slated building of recent erection, lighted with pointed windows; there is also a chapel at Ballyclough. A school is supported by Major Freeman, who allows £20 per ann. and a house and garden for the master; in this and in two private schools about 70 children are educated.

« Kilbride-Veston | Index | Kilbrine »


Library Ireland Facebook