KILBRIDE-VESTON

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILBRIDE-VESTON, or KILBRIDE-VASTY, a parish, in the barony of FARTULLAGH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S.) from Mullingar, on the road from that place to Rochfort-Bridge; containing 923 inhabitants. It comprises about 1500 statute acres, in tillage and pasturage, with a considerable quantity of bog. The principal seats are Dunboden, the residence of R. W. Cooper, Esq., in whose fine demesne are the remains of the ancient parish church; Whitewell, the seat of A. Grose, Esq.; and Kilbride Castle, of A. J. Wilkington, Esq., where are the remains of a strong hold of the Tyrrells. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Gifford family, in whom the rectory is impropriate: the tithes amount to £78. 9. 11 ½., of which £52. 6. 8. is payable to the impropriators, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Fartullagh, or Rochfort-Bridge.

« Kilbride-Pilate | Index | Kilbrin »


Library Ireland Facebook