KILBRIDE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILBRIDE, a parish, partly in the barony of GOREY, and partly in that of SCARAWALSH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ½ miles (E. S. E.) from Camolin, on the coast road from Gorey to Oulart; containing 1094 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the vicinity of Ferns, was, during the disturbances, of 1798, partly occupied by the insurgents, who encamped on Carrigrua Hill in their progress towards Gorey. It comprises 4677 statute acres, of which a considerable portion is excellent grazing land, and the remainder under tillage: the system of agriculture is slowly improving. Quarries of good building stone are worked, and jasper has been found in some parts; there is only a scanty supply of fuel. A considerable quantity of excellent butter is made here and sent to the markets of Gorey and Enniscorthy. The gentlemen's seats are Ballymore, the residence of R. Donovan, Esq., a handsome modern mansion, beautifully situated in the midst of a richly wooded demesne; and Rockspring, of the Rev. L. Cornock. The parish is in the diocese of Ferns, and the rectory forms a part of the union of that name: the tithes amount to £203. 1. 6. In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Ferns: the chapel, a neat building, is at Kilcissan, or Clorogue; and there is a place of worship for the Society of Friends at Ballintore. About 40 children are educated in a private school. At Ballymore are the ruins of an ancient church, held in such veneration that persons dying within 40 miles of the spot are sometimes buried there.

« Kilbride (Waterford) | Index | Kilbride (Wicklow) »


Library Ireland Facebook