KILBRIDE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILBRIDE, a parish, partly in the barony of ROSCOMMON, but chiefly in that of BALLINTOBBER, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (N.) from Roscommon, on the road to Strokestown; containing 7673 inhabitants. It comprises 11,812 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; there is a large proportion of bog. The land is principally under tillage, but the system of agriculture is unimproved. Limestone abounds. The principal seats are Roxborough, the residence of A. Brown, Esq.; Durham, of H. Corr, Esq.; Holywell, of C. W. Blakeney, Esq.; Drumdaff, of T. G. Digby, Esq.; and Cappa Lodge, of Capt. W. Taaffe. Petty sessions are held every alternate week at a place called the Four-mile-House. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, and forms part of the union of Roscommon; the rectory is impropriate in the Sandys family. The tithes amount to £300. 18., one-half payable to the impropriator and the other to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilgeffin, also called Kilbride; a chapel is in progress of erection. About 20 children are educated in a public school, and there are seven private schools, in which are about 450 children. Some remains yet exist of the abbey of Derrane; and there are several raths, one of which, on the lands of Holywell, has a treble fosse.

« Kilbride (Meath) | Index | Kilbride (Waterford) »


Library Ireland Facebook