KILBERRY

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILBERRY, a parish, in the barony of MORGALLION, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N.) from Navan, on the road from that place to Kingscourt; containing 2002 inhabitants. The land is of good quality; about two-thirds are meadow or pasture, and about 100 acres bog. The parish is intersected by the Yellow River, on which is a corn-mill. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and forms part of the union of Donaghpatrick: the tithes amount to £335, and there is a glebe of 6 acres, valued at £18. 9. 2. per annum. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also Donaghpatrick and Teltown, and containing two chapels, situated at Kilberry and Oristown. About 100 children are educated in a school to which Colonel Everard gives a house and garden rent-free, and C. Smyth, Esq., subscribes £10 annually; and about 50 are taught in a private school. A chantry of two priests, or chaplains, was formerly attached to the church of St. Mary, in this parish.

« Kilberry (Kildare) | Index | Kilbixy »


Library Ireland Facebook