KILBEACONTY

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILBEACONTY, or KILVECONTY, a parish, in the barony of KILTARTAN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2 ½ miles (N. N. E.) from Gort, on the road from that place to Portumna; containing 4544 inhabitants. This .parish comprises 6422 statute acres, and includes Russane, the seat of Captain Laluffe; Fort Hill, of J. Burke, Esq.; and Cluane, of Burke Eyre, Esq. It is in the diocese of Kilmacduagh; the rectory is partly appropriate to the archdeaconry, and partly, with the vicarage, forms a portion of the union and corps of the deanery of Kilmacduagh. The tithes amount to £195, of which £20 is payable to the archdeacon, and £175 to the dean. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a thatched chapel. About 120 children are educated in three private schools.

« Kilbeacon | Index | Kilbeagh »


Library Ireland Facebook