KILBEACON

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILBEACON, a parish, in the barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 8 miles (S. by E.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Kilkenny to Waterford; containing 1049 inhabitants, and 3151 statute acres. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, united to the vicarages of Rosinan and Killahy, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of the cathedral of St. Canice, Kilkenny. The tithes amount to £114, of which £76 is payable to the vicars choral, and £38 to the vicar. There is a glebe of 16 acres. The church is a modern building. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Kilmacow. About 160 children are educated in three private schools. At Earlsrath was a large fort, encompassed by a fosse and a bank about 20 feet high: the enclosed area measured about 70 yards by 55, and contained some buildings.

« Kilbarrymeaden | Index | Kilbeaconty »


Library Ireland Facebook