KILBARRY

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILBARRY, a parish, in the county of the city of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 1 mile (S.) from Waterford, on the road from that city to Tramore; containing 587 inhabitants. A preceptory of Knights Templars was founded here in the 12th century, on the dissolution of which order it was given to the Knights Hospitallers. The ruins show that it consisted of a dwelling-house, connected with a chapel. On the opposite side of the marsh near which they stand is a very fine cromlech. The parish contains 4241 statute acres, of which part is arable, the rest marsh, which being under water the greater part of the year, renders its vicinity extremely unhealthy; it is, however, proposed to cut a canal, for the double purpose of draining it and facilitating the conveyance of agricultural produce and manure. Ballinamona is the seat of T. Carew, Esq. The living is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Waterford, and in the gift of G. L. Fox, Esq., in whom the rectory is impropriate: the tithes amount to £155, payable to the impropriator, who allows £5 to the curate of St. Patrick's, Waterford, for the performance of the clerical duties.

« Kilbarron (Tipperary) | Index | Kilbarrymeaden »


Library Ireland Facebook