KILBARRON

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILBARRON, a parish, in the barony of LOWER ORMONDE, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (W.) from Burris-o-kane, on the road from Killaloe to Portumna; containing 2590 inhabitants. It comprises 7575 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is chiefly under tillage; about 150 acres are called the Commons of Kearney. Coarse limestone and a kind of red and white marble are found here, and lead was formerly obtained. Here is a constabulary police station. The principal seats are Annah, the residence of J. Minchin, Esq.; Bellevue, of G. W. Biggs, Esq.; Mota, of T. Pepper Roberts, Esq.; Gurthmunger, of the Rev. R. Stoney; Annah Castle, of Joseph O. Tabourdeau, Esq.; Kilgarvan, of E. Cambie, Esq.; Waterloo Lodge, of the Rev. R. P. Vaughan; Garrane, of W. Legge, Esq.; and Castletown, of C. Cambie, Esq., a handsome castellated building on an eminence near the Shannon, commanding beautiful views of Lough Derg and the mountain scenery of Clare and Galway.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in Capt. Ralph Smith. The tithes amount to £360, of which £240 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. The church is a neat building, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £1000 in 1822. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of about 8 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also Terryglass and Finoe, and containing two chapels. About 40 children are educated in a public school, and about 150 in three private schools. Here are the ruins of an ancient church, also of four castles, called Cushlawn-Thullahawn, Cushlawn-Thigge-Burht, Annah, and Ballycollaton. Island More, in Lough Derg, containing about 130 Irish acres, belongs to this parish, but is considered to be in the county of Galway.

« Kilbarron (Donegal) | Index | Kilbarry »


Library Ireland Facebook