KILBAHA

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILBAHA, a village, in the parish of KILBALLYHONE, barony of MOYARTA, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 15 ½ miles (S.W.) from Kilrush, on the northern shore of the estuary of the Shannon; containing 77 houses and 460 inhabitants. It is situated on the small bay of the same name, which is the first on entering the Shannon, and forms an asylum harbour for fishing vessels and other small craft coming in from Loop Head. The pier, constructed by the late Fishery Board, affords accommodation for landing sea manure, of which a considerable quantity is used in the neighbourhood, and has proved of great benefit to the farmers. Turf of a superior quality is cut in the vicinity, and sent hence to Limerick; and the fisheries afford exclusive employment to upwards of 100 persons.—See KILBALLYHONE.

« Kilaconnigan | Index | Kilbaliver »


Library Ireland Facebook