KILACONENAGH

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILACONENAGH, a parish, in the barony of BERE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER; containing, with the post-town of Castletown-Bearhaven, 7127 inhabitants. The parish comprises 12,389 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3937 per annum. It is very uneven, being principally composed of mountains of slate, the highest of which is Miskush, which has an elevation of 1214 feet. A few of these mountains furnish herbage for cattle, but the greater part are barren. Some of the low lands are moderately well cultivated with the spade, and round Castletown the land is fertile, being chiefly manured with sea-weed and sand. The principal seats are Dunboy, the residence of J. L. Puxley, Esq.; Cameatringane, of J. O'Sullivan, Esq.; Millcove, of P. O'Sullivan, Esq.; Broderick Cottage, of Major Broderick; and Seapoint, of R. O'Sullivan, Esq.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ross, episcopally united to the rectories and vicarages of Kilnamanagh and Kilcateerin, in 1795, which union is also called Bearhaven, and is in the patronage of the Bishop: the rectory is impropriate in Lord Riversdale. The tithes amount to £385, of which £200 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar; and the entire tithes of the benefice amount to £485. The church is a small neat edifice, with a low square tower, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £500. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a gift of £250 and a loan of £550 from the same Board, in 1821; the glebe comprises 42 acres.

In the R. C. divisions this parish is in the diocese of Kerry, and, with Kilnamanagh, forms the union or district of Castletown, where there is a large chapel; there is also one on Bere Island. About 160 children are educated in a public school, and about 300 in four private schools; there is also a Sunday school, supported by the vicar. In Castletown are some ruins of Castle Dhermod, built by Dhermod McCarthy; and at Dunboy are some remains of Dunboy Castle, formerly belonging to the O'Sullivans: for the remarkable defence of which, see the article CASTLETOWN-BEARHAVEN.

« Kesh | Index | Kilaconnigan »


Library Ireland Facebook