KENE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KENE, or CAINE, also called INISKIN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER DUNDALK, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Dundalk, on the road from that place to Crossmeglan; containing 373 inhabitants. It comprises 749 ½ acres, and in it is Falmore Hall, the residence of Mrs. Eastwood. At Killen are some large limestone quarries and kilns. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, and is partly appropriate to the see and partly one of the four parishes which constitute the union of Baronstown: the tithes amount to £72. 15. 7. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Dundalk, and has a chapel at Killen. There is a private school, in which about 70 children are educated. At Killen hill and in its vicinity formerly existed some druidical remains; and about a quarter of a mile from them is a mount with two successive slopes and terraces, surmounted by the ruins of a building shaped like the hull of an ancient ship.

« Kenagh | Index | Kenmare »


Library Ireland Facebook