JOHNSTOWN (ST.)

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

JOHNSTOWN (ST.), or SCADDANSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Killenaule, on the road to Fethard; containing 772 inhabitants. It comprises 2223 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, consisting of good land under tillage and pasture, without waste or bog. There are several quarries of excellent limestone. St. Johnstown Castle, consisting of a high square tower in good preservation, is the property of James Millet, Esq., who has a modern house in its immediate vicinity. Lis-mortagh is the residence of John Millet, Esq.; and Mortlestown Castle is also in this parish. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, forming part of the union of Killenaule; the vicarage is appropriate to the vicars choral of Cashel. The tithes amount to £143. 6. 6 ½., of which £110 is payable to the incumbent, and the remainder to the vicars choral. About 40 children are educated in the parochial school, which is aided by £12 per annum from the incumbent; the school-house and a residence for the master were built at the expense of the late Col. Pennefather. There are also three private pay schools, in which about 170 children are educated.

« Johnstown (St.), Longford | Index | Johnstown-Bridge »


Library Ireland Facebook