JOHNSTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

JOHNSTOWN, a village, in that part of the parish of MOYACOMB, or CLONEGAL, which is in the barony of SCAREWALSH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, nearly adjoining the village and post-town of Clonegal, on the road from Ferns to Tullow; containing 45 houses and 235 inhabitants. Here was formerly an extensive distillery, which was discontinued about 20 years since: it has been lately taken down, and a large flour-mill erected on its site by Mr. Derinzy, of Clonegal. A slate quarry has been lately opened on the neighbouring eminence called Gibbit hill, and is intended to be worked to some extent. Among the seats in the vicinity are Prospect, the residence of George Braddell, Esq.; Beaufield, of Thomas Braddell, Esq.; and the recently erected mansion of — Rainsford, Esq. On the estate of H. Braddell, Esq., at Abbey Down, are the remains of an ancient religious house, of which no account is extant. This estate has been tithe-free from time immemorial, and has always been considered extra-parochial. The R. C. chapel at Ballyfad, near the village, is a neat edifice: it was formerly the parochial chapel of the district, but is now considered a chapel of ease to that of Arklow.

« Johnstown (Kilkenny) | Index | Johnstown (Wicklow) »


Library Ireland Facebook