JOHN'S (ST.)

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

JOHN'S (ST.), a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, extending from the town of Wexford in a western direction, and containing 3018 inhabitants, of which number, 2758 are within the limits of the town. It comprises about 480 statute acres, partly covered by the suburbs of the town; the remainder is mostly occupied as garden and pasture ground. Within its limits are the county gaol, county infirmary, St. Peter's college, the diocesan school, and female orphan house (which are respectively described in the account of the town of Wexford), also the following seats:—Rockfield, the residence of P. W. Redmond, Esq.; Summer Hill, of Mrs. Redmond; Belvidere, of Miss Howitson; and Laurel Hill, of Mr. A. D. Fitzpatrick; the Rectory, and Spawell brewery, the property of Mr. N. Scallan, are also in the parish. It is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union of St. Patrick's, Wexford; the rectory is impropriate in Caesar Colclough, Esq., of Tintern Abbey. The tithes amount to £50. 3.7 ½., of which £7. 13. 0. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the curate. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Wexford. Some remains of the old church still exist.

« John's (St.), Wexford | Index | Johnstown (Kildare) »


Library Ireland Facebook