ISLANDEADY

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

ISLANDEADY, or ISLANDINE, also called ISLANDEDIN, a parish, partly in the barony of BURRISHOOLE, but chiefly in that of CARRA, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 ¼ miles (W. N. W.) from Castlebar, on the road to Westport; containing 8564 inhabitants. It comprises about 25,920 statute acres, of which 23,936 are applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £6154 per annum. There is much bog and mountain, and a lake 4 miles long, in which are two islands crowned with luxuriant woods. Here is abundance of fine limestone, which is quarried for building, and formerly large iron-works existed, of which great quantities of the scoria still remain. The principal seats are Mucknagh, the residence of M. Rowland, Esq.; Green Hill, of J. Bourke, Esq.; Woodville, of T. Bourke, Esq.; Cloonane, of J. O'Malley, Esq.; and Rahens, of H. J. H. Browne, Esq., which was occupied by the French in 1798. Near this seat is a monument, 86 feet high, erected by the late Dodwell Browne, Esq., in memory of his wife; also a very ancient windmill. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, forming part of the union of Castlebar: the tithes amount to £240. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a chapel at Glen island, built in 1820 at an expense of £150, and one in Islandeady, which cost £300. There are a public and five private schools. The old church is in ruins.

« Island Bridge | Index | Island-Icane »


Library Ireland Facebook