ISLAND BRIDGE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

ISLAND BRIDGE, a village, in the parish of ST. JAMES, barony of NEWCASTLE, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, on the southern bank of the Liffey; the population is returned with the parish. A beautiful bridge crosses the Liffey at this place: it consists of one elliptical arch, 104 feet 10 inches in span, the key-stone of which is 24 feet above high water mark. The first stone was laid, in 1791, by Sarah, Countess of Westmoreland, after whom it is named Sarah Bridge. Here are very extensive artillery barracks, with an hospital, but it is intended to remove the artillery to the buildings of the Foundling Hospital, when the institution shall have been closed after the children now maintained in it are provided for elsewhere. Printworks were established in 1786, which have been greatly enlarged by the present proprietor, W. Henry, Esq., who has a handsome residence near them: they are on the banks of the Liffey, and furnish employment for between 500 and 600 persons. Here is also an extensive flour-mill belonging to Messrs. Manders and Co. Near the village is a spring, called St. John's well, at which a kind of festival of considerable antiquity is held on St. John's eve. It is much frequented by the working classes from the metropolis, for whom tents are pitched and the usual entertainments of patron days provided.

« Island | Index | Islandeady »


Library Ireland Facebook