ISERTLAURENCE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

ISERTLAURENCE, or ISAINT-LAURENCE, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. E.) from Limerick, on the road to Cahirconlish; containing 1009 inhabitants. It comprises 1314 statute acres; the soil is indifferent, but fine limestone is obtained and basalt rises through it in several places to a considerable height. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Emly, forming part of the union of Ballybrood; the rectory forms the corps of the prebend of Isert-Laurence in the cathedral of Emly, and being held by the bishop gives him a seat in the chapter-house. The tithes amount to £138. 9. 24., of which £92. 6. 1 ¾. is payable to the bishop, as prebendary, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Cahirconlish, and has a small chapel, near which is a burial-ground containing a well dedicated to St. Laurence, which is much resorted to. About 110 children are educated in a national school adjoining the chapel. There are some remains of a fortress at Scagh-ard, and the ruins of the castle of Grenane.

« Isertkelly | Index | Ishartmon »


Library Ireland Facebook