INNISMACNAUGHTEN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

INNISMACNAUGHTEN, an island, in the parish of KILCONRY, barony of BUNRATTY, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (W.) from Bunratty; the population is returned with the parish. It is situated on the eastern shore of the river Fergus, near its junction with the Shannon, and comprises 260 statute acres of land of a superior quality for fattening cattle. To the north-west is the island of Dynish, containing 20, and westward is that of Fynish, containing 160, acres of a similar quality. The latter island was, according to Archdall, anciently called Inis-fidhe, or Cluan-fidhe, and was the seat of a nunnery over which St. Bridget presided in the fifth century: the ruins of the old church still exist. Near Fynish is the "Priest Rock," a rugged straggling mass dangerous to vessels, on which it has been recommended to place a beacon, or pillar.

« Innislonnagh | Index | Innismacsaint »


Library Ireland Facebook