INNISKEEN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

INNISKEEN, or ENNISKEEN, a village, in the parish of KINNEIGH, Western Division of the barony of EAST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (W.) from Bandon, on the road to Dunmanway; the population is returned with the parish. This village, which is situated on the River Bandon, in the southern part of the parish, and is also called Inniskean, is said to have derived its name from Kean Mac Moile More, ancestor of the Mahony family of Castle Mahon, now Castle Bernard. In the war of 1641 it was sacked by the insurgents; and in 1690 was threatened by Mac Fineen, one of the leaders of the army of James II., who, finding it strongly garrisoned, retired without striking a blow. On the 21st of April in the following year, it was attacked by 1500 of the Irish, who set fire to it, and every house was destroyed except that occupied by the garrison, consisting of 44 men, who resolutely held out till assistance arrived from Bandon, when the insurgents were taken by surprise, put to flight, and 72 of them slain in the pursuit. In the same year the place was fortified by order of Governor Cox, who placed in it a garrison of militia. A paper-mill affords employment to about 30 persons, and about the same number are employed in the slate quarries near the place. The village has a penny post to Bandon, and fairs on April 5th, June 22nd, Aug. 12th, and Oct. 2nd, chiefly for live stock and pedlery; they are toll free and well attended. It also contains a small R. C. chapel.

« Inniskeel | Index | Inniskeen (Monaghan) »


Library Ireland Facebook