IMOGEELY

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

IMOGEELY, or MOGEALY, a parish, in the barony of IMOKILLY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER; containing, with part of the post-town of Castlemartyr, 3047 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Midleton to Youghal, comprises 6128 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £5946 per annum. The land is generally of good quality, much of it being in the fine limestone vale of Imokilly, and in a high state of cultivation; the system of agriculture is greatly improved, and green crops are raised with success. In the northern part is a ridge of clay-slate, and from the abundance of limestone in the vale, the highest grounds are rendered productive.

The surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied and enriched with flourishing plantations. The principal seats are Kilmountain, the residence of J. Boles, Esq.; Castletown, of Mrs. Uniacke; Springfield, of the Rev. W. Boles; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. G. Smith. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and forms part of the union of Castlemartyr and of the corps of the prebend of Cahirultan, in the cathedral church of Cloyne: the tithes amount to £435. 12. 7 ½. The glebe-house, a handsome residence, was built by a gift of £100 and a loan of £1350 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1815; the glebe comprises 22 acres, part of which was given by the Earl of Shannon in lieu of the glebes of Cahirultan and Ballyoughtera, both of which were in the Castlemartyr demesne.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms the head of the union or district of Imogeely or Castlemartyr, comprising also the parishes of Cahirultan, Ballyoughtera, and Dungourney: the chapel is a large plain edifice, adjoining the old churchyard; and there are chapels at Dungourney and Clonmon. About 80 children are taught in two public schools, of which the parochial school is supported by the rector; and there are three private schools, in which are about 130 children. There are considerable remains of the old parish church, which was destroyed in the war of 1641; the church-yard is still used as a burial-ground.

« Imlagh | Index | Imphrick »


Library Ireland Facebook