IGHTERMURRAGH

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

IGHTERMURRAGH, or IGHTERMORROGH, a parish, in the barony of IMOKILLY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 ½ miles (S. E.) from Castlemartyr, on Youghal bay; containing 2627 inhabitants. It comprises 5362 acres, valued at £4452 per annum. The soil is excellent, being a light loam based upon limestone, and in a good state of cultivation. Here is a considerable manufacture of straw plat. The principal seats are Carew's Wood, an elegant villa, the property of the Earl of Shannon, and now the residence of the Rev. J. Leslie; Knockane, of T. Gard, Esq., M. D.; Lisquinlan, of the Rev. C. Harte, A. M., situated on the summit of a peninsula, in the midst of beautiful and extensive plantations; and Castle Richard, of R. Fitzgerald, Esq., near which are the remains of the ancient castle of Inchicrenagh, a fine old tower of excellent masonry in good preservation; on the wall of one of the arches is an inscription bearing date 1592, with the initials T. G.; it was built by the great Earl of Desmond, and was the seat of the seneschals of Imokilly, ancestors of the present occupier of Castle Richard.

The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to £651, 13. 2 ½. There is a glebe of four acres, but no glebe-house. The church is a plain ancient building, and contains monuments of the Supple and Pittman families. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ballymacoda and Ladiesbridge, at which latter place is a neat chapel. There is a national school in which 60, and a private school in which 40, children are educated. Here are some remains of Ightermurragh castle, which has been the property of the Supples or De Capells since 1172. Near Ballendinis is an extensive cavern in the limestone rock. The river Dower flows under ground for a considerable distance, and there are other subterraneous rivers.

« Icane | Index | Illud »


Library Ireland Facebook