HOLLYWOOD

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

HOLLYWOOD, a parish, in the barony of BALROTHERY, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. W.) from Balbriggan, on the road from Dublin by Naul to Drogheda; containing 1022 inhabitants. This parish, with respect to its agriculture, is in an unimproved state, though good limestone for burning exists near the ruins of its ancient church; there is also a quarry of black slate near Malahow. The principal seats are Malahow House, the residence of the Rev. T. Baker; and Malahow, of T. Cosgrave, Esq., from both of which are extensive views, and also from the R. C. parochial house at Damastown, embracing an extensive tract of country towards Dublin, backed by the Dublin and Wicklow mountains. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, episcopally united to the vicarages of Naul and Grallagh, and in the patronage of the Marquess of Drogheda; the rectory is impropriate in W. D. Pollard, Esq., and Capt. G. Pepper. The tithes amount to £229. 1. 9., of which £151. 14. 4. is payable to the impropriators, and the remainder to the vicar; and the vicarial tithes of the whole union amount to £92. 8. 11. The glebe-house was built by a gift of £369 and a loan of the same amount from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1829; the glebe comprises 6 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Naul or Damastown; the chapel at Damastown is a neat edifice, and near it is the parochial house for the R. C. clergyman, erected in 1833, at an expense of £500; there is a private school, in which are about 20 children. On levelling a hill near the ruins of the old church, in 1833, several urns containing ashes were found, about six feet below the surface. Near the spot is an extensive moat, or rath. There is a holy well, dedicated to St. Kennett.

« Hollywood (Down) | Index | Hollywood (Wicklow) »


Library Ireland Facebook