HARRISTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

HARRISTOWN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER PHILIPSTOWN, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 4 ¼ miles (S. W.) from Kildare, on the road from Monastereven to Athy; containing 1020 inhabitants. This parish is an isolated part of King's county, situated in the county of Kildare; it comprises 3940 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2218 per annum; and includes Riverstown, the residence of Capt. Browne. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare; forming the corps of the prebend of Harristown in Kildare cathedral, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £220. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe. The parochial school, at Borbawn, is aided by the incumbent, and there is a private school of about 20 children.

« Harristown (Kildare) | Index | Hawlbowling »


Library Ireland Facebook