HAROLDSTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

HAROLDSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of RATHVILLY, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, l ½ mile (S.) from Hacketstown, on the road to Carlow; containing 838 inhabitants. It comprises 2778 statute acres, of which about 200 are bog, 1000 arable, and the remainder meadow and pasture. Agriculture is improving, and limestone is found here. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, forming part of the union of Hacketstown; the rectory is appropriate to the Dean and Chapter of Leighlin. The tithes amount to £188. 9. 4., of which two-thirds are payable to the dean and chapter, and one-third to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Hacketstown. There is a dipensary; also a parochial, a national, and another public school. On the townland of Haroldstown is a fine cromlech, consisting of one large stone supported by five smaller stones; there is also an old churchyard.

« Harold's Cross | Index | Harristown (Kildare) »


Library Ireland Facebook