HAGGARDSTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

HAGGARDSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER DUNDALK, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S.) from Dundalk, on the road from Dublin to Belfast; containing, with the village of Blackrock, 1011 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1400 ¼ statute acres, according to the Ordnance survey, nearly the whole of which is very excellent land and under tillage. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, entirely impropriate in T. Fortescue, Esq.: the tithes amount to £178. 16. 3 ½. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, also called Kilcurley, which comprises the parishes of Haggardstown, Heynstown, Ballybarrack, Philipstown, Dunbin, and part of Baronstown: a handsome chapel was erected here in 1833, and there is another at Baronstown. Here is a school of about 150 children; and there are some remains of the old church and also of an ancient castle.

« Hacketstown | Index | Hainstown »


Library Ireland Facebook