GREENISH

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

GREENISH, an island, in the parish of DROMDEELEY, barony of LOWER CONNELLO EAST, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 ½ miles (N.) from Askeaton; the population is returned with the parish. The ancient name of this island was Inis Grein, in the Irish language, signifying "the Island of the Sun," and derived from a very large heathen temple erected on its highest point, probably appropriated to the worship of that pagan divinity, and of which there are still some slight vestiges. It is situated off the southern bank of the Shannon, near the mouth of the river Deel, and comprises about 45 acres of land, being the principal of a group of islands in the bay of Tramorel.

« Greenan | Index | Greenmount »